It’s pretty clear now that spring is officially here. I took full advantage of the warm weather this week to do some of the things I missed during the long, cold winter. I went for a walk in my Teva sandals, we made iced tea and got out our box fans. We researched air conditioners (we never did get one last year). Yesterday I ran/walked my first 5k ever (much more about that in a future post).
Other signs of spring? The return of fresh produce. Asparagus is now officially in season and recipes using it fill my reader. Brian and I have already consumed one bunch, but we just sautéed it in a pan and served it as a side dish. However, now that I’ve seen all of the other options, I think I’m going to get some more. How good is asparagus? Good enough for a royal wedding.
Mark Bittman must really love asparagus. He listed all thirteen (plus) years of asparagus recipes from his NY Times Minimalist column. Also in the NY Times, he published a collection of 12 different ways to steam, roast, stir-fry and grill the lovely vegetable. On his own site, Mark Bittman posted a recipe for roasted or grilled asparagus.
As much as I love Mark Bittman, he certainly doesn’t have a corner on asparagus ideas. Check out these other tasty suggestions:
- Closet Cooking’s Asparagus and Baby Artichoke Quinoa Salad and Asparagus Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Cynthia’s Simple Spring Veggie Roast
- Kitchen Daily’s Chili-Rubbed Tilapia with Asparagus & Lemon
- Thai-Style Scallops and Asparagus from the NY Times
- Chicken, Sausage, Asparagus and Mushroom Pasta from Grace-Marie’s Kitchen at Bristol Farms, which I discovered via The Pioneer Woman
- Asparagus Shandong-Style and Asparagus with Crème Fraiche Mustard Sauce and Prosciutto as seen on Serious Eats
- Baked Eggs with Asparagus and Watercress in the Boston Globe
- Cheap Healthy Good’s Steamed Asparagus
Anyone have a great asparagus recipe that’s not listed above? All this writing about it really makes me want to go get some more…