I am so excited to be bringing you this recipe today. I have had this recipe on my posting agenda for literally years. In the process of making it again for photos and finalizing the instructions, I realized how appealing the recipe is for kids. Eggplant is not generally a kid’s food, but my kids (age 4 and age 21 months) both really enjoyed these crispy baked eggplant slices. The seasoned bread crumb coating appeals to children and the eggplant slices are thin enough that they can basically be ignored.
I’m looking forward to continuing to play with this recipe. We served ours with pasta and tomato sauce – sort of a cousin to eggplant parmesan. I think that these slices would also be great with different flavors in the breading – taco seasoning, salt and pepper, fresh herbs? One could also try various dips or toppings – ketchup, yogurt sauce, sweet and sour, barbecue. I see endless options here which is great, considering how plentiful eggplant can be this time of year.
- 1-2 pounds eggplant (this recipe is very flexible, use whatever amount of eggplant you have on hand)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unflavored bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt , plus more for salting eggplant
- olive oil spray, or olive oil
- Wash and peel the eggplant. Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices and lay them out on a towel, paper towel or cooling rack. Lightly salt each slice of eggplant and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Near the end of the 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl big enough to dip an eggplant slice, mix together an egg and a tablespoon of water. In another bowl of the similar size, combine the bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Use a dish towel or paper towel to blot the excess liquid off the tops of the eggplant slices. Oil a baking sheet using olive oil spray, or using olive oil.
- Dip the a slices of eggplant into the egg, coating all sides. Then dip the eggplant slice into the breading mixture, coating all sides. Place the eggplant slice onto the baking sheet. Repeat until all slices are breaded. Oil an additional baking sheet if needed. Spray the slices with olive oil spray or drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake the eggplant for 15 minutes. Flip the eggplant slices over, then cook for 15 more minutes (30 minutes total cooking), or until golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Serve with tomato sauce, or another sauce of your choosing. Enjoy!