After my weekend realization that fall is here and the onset of a head cold that makes me want to stay in bed all day, there was only one thing I could do: make soup. Luckily I picked up some excellent soup ingredients at the farm last week. I decided to use our CSA leek, onion, garlic and potatoes to create a creamy, comforting, filling dinner. I opted to not use a recipe, which is completely unlike me, and even though I didn’t think I could really mess up soup, I also didn’t expect it to be this satisfying. Enjoy.
Creamy Leek and Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 leek white and pale green parts sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 pound potatoes cut into 1” cubes
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sized pot, melt the butter on medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the sliced and cleaned leek, chopped onion and crushed garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the potatoes to the pot and stir them together with the vegetables. Add the 4 cups of vegetable broth and stir to combine. Cook the soup for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft enough to pierce with a fork.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, blend the soup to your desired consistency. I left some potato chunks in mine, but either way is delicious. Add the half and half, stir to combine and season to taste.
- Serve and enjoy, perhaps with delicious biscuits such as these from Rachel Wilkerson (yes, the biscuits are just as awesome on their own!)
Kristin @ FoodFash says
Those biscuits made my mouth water!
They’re fabulous and really easy. You should try making them, they only take like 20 minutes, tops.
Rachel Wilkerson says
Emily, you always post the BEST soup recipes! Leah and I were just discussing your sausage & kale soup this morning and how we’re hooked and when I saw this last night I was like, YES! Another one! So pumped to try this as soon as it’s not 100 degrees here…
Aw, thanks Rachel! That just made my day. Let me know if you try the soup–I’m already sad I didn’t make more.
Also, the biscuit recipe you posted was the perfect addition, so thanks!