I love cooking from complicated recipes. However, I am not good at developing complicated recipes. When I cook without a recipe, it’s all about whatever’s easy and sounds good. In fact, I’ve barely been good at motivating myself to cook dinner at all lately. I’m blaming the fact that it’s been cold and snowy and not as sunny as I’d like for this time of year. That, and the fact that I don’t have CSA vegetables that are going to spoil before I use them up. I am just not inspired.
A couple Saturdays ago, I found myself home alone and looking for lunch. I needed to go food shopping, so my options were limited. I threw together a baked potato and topped it with traditional nacho toppings and it was incredible. Brian arrived home part way through my meal and was so jealous that I planned to make my loaded baked potato creation again for dinner. The mixture of hot potato, cold salsa, cheese and Greek yogurt creates a simple but filling snack or meal; the addition of kidney beans bulks up the dish further and adds more protein. In short, it really hits the spot.
The best part is, this meal is embarrassingly easy to put together. It’s also perfect for an infinite number of ingredient combinations – you can skip any of the ingredients below or add hot sauce, olives, hot peppers, sliced meats, or fresh vegetables. Baked potatoes are an excellent platform for anything you’re in the mood for!
Loaded Baked Potatoes
- 1 baking potato per serving
Toppings (amounts will vary based on your tastes):
- shredded cheddar cheese 2 tablespoons
- salsa 2-3 tablespoons
- kidney black or pinto beans (1/4 cup)
- Greek yogurt/sour cream 2 tablespoons
- thinly sliced green onions
- Bake the potato(es) by placing them directly on your oven rack in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The potatoes are done when a fork can be inserted easily.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and allow them to cool slightly. Gather and prepare your other toppings.
- Slice open each potato or cut them into chunks. Top with cheese, salsa, beans, Greek yogurt and green onions (or the toppings of your choice).
- Serve and enjoy!