Did it take me until the beginning of February to get my word of the year post up? Yes. Better late than never.
For 2024, my theme word is relationships. Generally, it is easier for me to move away from people than towards them. My ideal day involves being home alone for an extended period of time. But I have recognized in recent months – as I come out of the fog of having tiny children at home and the impact of COVID – the importance of having strong friendships and relationships. This is an area that I have really neglected in recent years, despite connect being my 2016 word of the year and community being my 2019 word of the year. In those years, relationships were a small part of a multifaceted focus for the year. This time around, I’m looking to be more focused and intentional regarding my interactions with other people.
Some of the ways I’m considering working on relationships this year:
– more game nights
– date nights
– saying yes to invitations, especially those on Facebook that say “anybody want to…”
– less time on my phone
– more active involvement in both my book clubs
– joining a church small group?
– hosting dinner guests
– not bringing my phone to lunch at work
– facilitating play dates for my kids
– being present to really listen to my students
– supporting my colleagues in their extracurricular endeavors