Last Friday, Brian and I were picking up our vegetables at the farm, like we do. As we pondered our options (aloud, no doubt to the pleasure of the other people in attendance), I suggested that I could make potato soup this week. Our CSA manager piped in with “Know what’s really good? Roasted Romanesco and Potato Soup”. So we grabbed some potatoes and a Romanesco cauliflower and tonight, I turned it into soup.
Roasted Romanesco Cauliflower and Potato Soup
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 small head Romanesco cauliflower
- olive oil
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Chop the potatoes (I left the peel on) and Romanesco cauliflower into roughly 1 inch pieces.
- Toss them lightly in olive oil and spread them on a baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes or until the cauliflower is slightly browned on the edges and a fork can be easily inserted into the potatoes
- After the potatoes and cauliflower are cooked, add them to a soup pot along with the vegetable broth and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Remove the soup from the heat and use an immersion blender to puree about half of the soup (more or less, to taste). Stir in the heavy cream.