It’s nothing terribly exciting, but I did want to share the solution to my “there’s nothing in the house for lunch” situation because I’m happy with it.
3/4 cup dry couscous
1 cup water (make sure you read the directions on your particular brand of couscous)
vegetables: I used green pepper and onion
1 can kidney beans
1 clove garlic
1. Saute vegetables and garlic with a little olive oil
2. Add drained and rinsed kidney beans
3. In a small sauce pan, boil water, add couscous and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. (Again, follow the directions on your couscous)
4. Combine couscous with contents of saute pan. Mix.
5. Put individual servings into containers (I got three servings out of my creation) so your lunch is ready to go in the morning!
Even though its really basic, I’m pretty excited about this. My 2 cups of couscous (cooked) to one can of beans seems to be a good ratio, which is a relief because I was totally making it up as I went. Furthermore, I’ll be eating vegetarian (vegan, actually) and healthy lunches at school for the next few days.