Disclosure: I was provided with products and compensation from Simply Organic and Mambo Sprouts in exchange for this post. As always, my opinions are my own. Thanks to Simply Organic and Mambo Sprouts for sponsoring Relishments!
Here in the Berkshires, we’re just on the cusp of summer squash and zucchini season. In the next few weeks, this reliable time of year will result in Facebook friends offering squash to anyone who’ll come get it and a sense of desperation among those with an overload. Zucchini will be exchanged at church and for sale on the side of the road. It’s just not summer without a plethora of summer squash.
But I really like eating summer squash and zucchini. I have a lot of recipes that I enjoy making and summer squash is a very versatile ingredient. In the weeks when zucchini is available at my CSA, I always pick some up because I know I’ll be able to use it for something. When Simply Organic offered me the chance to showcase their new organic Tuscan Seasoning in light of their #OrganicMoments campaign, I knew what I wanted to share with you: a recipe that would be quick to make without heating up your home, while featuring the seasonal, organic produce I pick up each week. I also wanted the recipe to taste like a real meal; just because it’s summer doesn’t mean we have to be hungry.
You can have this Tuscan Seasoned Summer Squash with Spaghetti and Feta on the table in about 30 minutes and the ingredient list is short. Don’t let the short, simple recipe dissuade you, however: this dish is delicious. Using a stainless steel (not a non-stick) pan to brown the vegetables will let you get great color on the squash and onions, don’t be afraid of a little bit of caramelization.
I also love this recipe because, in addition to the overabundance of squash and zucchini, the other ingredients – seasoning, salt, feta cheese and pasta – are easy to keep on hand for when you need them. Feta can last for weeks or months in the refrigerator and I always have a large container on hand in the summer. And though fresh herbs are more readily available in the summer, I still find myself regularly reaching for bottles like Simply Organic’s Tuscan Seasoning because they’re reliable, easy and fast.
Tuscan Seasoned Summer Squash with Spaghetti and Feta
- 1½ pounds summer squash and/or zucchini
- 1 medium onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons Simply Organic Tuscan Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti or other pasta of your choice
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Quarter each of the summer squash and/or zucchini lengthwise and then slice the quarters into 1/4 inch slices. Roughly chop the onion into slices about the size of your squash slices.
- Combine all the summer squash in a medium bowl with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons Simply Organic Tuscan Seasoning, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix until the olive oil, Tuscan Seasoning and salt are evenly distributed over the vegetables.
- Heat a stainless steel skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetables and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all the vegetables are softened and beginning to brown.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in boiling water according to the package directions. Drain and set aside when finished.
- When the vegetables and spaghetti are both ready, distribute the pasta on plates, top with 1/4 of the vegetable mixture and finish with 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese each.
- Serve and enjoy!
I always buy my produce at my local Farmer’s Market. Good to know there are organic spices I can whip up my veggies in.
Can’t wait to make this.
This blog was… how do I say it? Relevant!!
Finally I’ve found something which helped me.
I could eat squash and zucchini in every meal and have been looking for a new dish! I can’t wait to try this with the Tuscan Spices! Thanks!