Holiday baking projects I have planned for my husband
1. Pull-Apart Rugelach from Smitten Kitchen, because rugelach is one of his favorites and I’ve never ever made it
2. Peanut Butter Blossoms from Hershey’s, also one of Brian’s favorites though I could take them or leave them
Projects I’ve seen lately that make me actually want to be crafty
1. This no-sew flannel blanket scarf tutorial from Cassie at Back to Her Roots. I’ve been thinking about it almost daily since I saw the idea. I really need to get to Jo-Ann’s and buy some fabric!
2. These cute Christmas postcards to color. I was doing some coloring a couple weeks ago (pre-NaNoWriMo) and I keep meaning to get back to it. These postcards could actually be useful when they’re done!
Holiday activities I’m feeling behind on
1. Decorating – Though we’ve been opening our advent calendars (we have both a traditional and a Star Wars LEGO one this year) every morning, no other Christmas decorations have been put up yet. No outdoor lights, no Christmas tree, no ornaments. Hopefully we can carve out some time soon!
2. Listening to Christmas music – I don’t know why I haven’t made this happen yet. The warmer weather (no snow yet!) may be part of the reason, but beyond that I think I’m just too busy listening to audiobooks and podcasts.
December hobbies I always manage to partake in
1. Cookie swaps – if you’ve been reading for a while, you know I’m all about cookie swaps. So far, I’ve got two scheduled before the end of the month. With any luck, I’ll find my way into some more.
2. Reading gift guides – my shopping is all but done, and yet, I can’t keep myself for stopping to read any gift guide that appears on my screen. Some people have such lovely ideas to share!
Ways I’m trying to stay appropriately focused this season
1. Trying to soak up advent. Both Brian and I are doing the advent reading from She/He Reads Truth and it’s a great way to focus on why the holiday season exists.
2. Writing personalized notes in all my Christmas cards. They haven’t actually arrived yet, but when they do I really want to make sure that the people receiving them find them meaningful. This is really the only time I get around to sending snail mail and I want to make the most of it.
Photos are from a visit to the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay, Maine. Brian and I were able to enjoy their current show, Gardens Aglow, with my parents over the Thanksgiving weekend.