Kentucky Mule Cocktail
Quality ingredients are never more important than in recipes made with only a few of them. To make this mule from Kentucky, use your favorite bourbon, squeeze fresh citrus, and make a run to the market for ginger beer—its sharpness and fragrance make all the difference. For extra kick, slip in slices of fresh or candied ginger.
- Ice cubes
- 2 ounces bourbon
- Juice of 1 lime or more to taste, plus lime wedge for garnish
- Ginger beer chilled, to top
- Fresh ginger slices or candied ginger for garnish optional
MULE-TY TALENTED (Variations)
1. Moscow Mule - Substitute 2 ounces vodka for the bourbon.
2. Sippy Cup - A mule is traditionally served in a copper mug. Though the clothes don’t make the man, this traditional vessel adds a historical note and keeps the drink chilled.
Recipe, notes and variations from Summer Cocktails by Maria Del Mar Sacasa. Reprinted with permission from Quirk Books.