Things I appreciate about being back at school
1. Routine…though I’m still not getting quite as much of it as I’d like. The beginning of the school year is always a little crazy with meetings and assemblies and trying to figure out students. Nevertheless, it’s nice to have some sort of schedule to my day.
2. Lunch with friends. I didn’t get to hang out with people as much as I’d intended and it’s nice to spend a few minutes of each day with my co-workers.
Awesome events I’ve enjoyed lately
1. We went to Tanglewood’s end of season show and enjoyed an awesome concert with the Boston Pops and Kristen Chenoweth. The orchestra was amazing and Kristen was funny and a wonderful performer. The show was followed by fireworks and was the perfect way to see the summer off.
2. Last weekend I participated in a Beth Moore simulcast event that was incredible. It was a full day event and I took a ton of notes that I already need to review. Beth made some amazing and convicting points about living out faith more audaciously. I bought her new book (which was available early to attendees) and am looking forward to reading it later this fall.
Activities I’m trying to make part of my routine this September
1. Studying the bible daily. This has been an ongoing goal for years now and I’ve been using She Reads Truth on and off for quite a while. A friend of mine invited to participate in an online study of Acts from Good Morning Girls. The study is the most engaged I’ve ever been with something I’ve done independently, even though it’s taking a bit of time and I’m doing it at the crack of dawn.
2. Staying active. This is off to a poor start, as I haven’t been to yoga in two weeks. There was no class on Labor Day and yesterday I didn’t get home from work and errands until after 4 and by the time dinner was ready I wasn’t able to get my butt to class. I’m trying to walk after school as often as possible, but scheduling sometimes makes that easier said than done. This week is especially full, but I think it’s going to calm down soon (my apologies if that’s the sort of thing I say a lot).
Things I’m adjusting to, now that I’m back at school
1. Mornings. Oh mornings. Despite the success I’m having with daily bible study, I still don’t seem to be able to do everything I want to in the morning (and by “everything”, I mean eat, shower, study and get dressed) in a way that makes sense and doesn’t make me feel rushed.
2. Afternoons. I don’t know why I forget this every summer, but I always forget that by the time I get home from work, there’s often not a lot of time before I need to start thinking about dinner and then it’s not long before I start considering bed. So, I have to remember how I accomplish all the things I was taking all day to do in July and August in just a couple hours or on weekends. It’s do-able, but it’s an adjustment.
Foods I’m excited to see at the farmers market and our CSA
1. We’re eating apples like it’s our job around here. I’m not baking or cooking with them, we’re just grabbing them out of the bowl and eating them plain. Someday I might do something more with them, but I’m loving them just the way they are for now.
2. I’m trying to refrain from picking up squash, but I’m really looking forward to eating it. Delicata was available at our farm today and I’m going to make the most of it until it’s out of season.
Fall events I’m really excited about
1. Fresh Grass! Once again, Brian and I have Friday night tickets to the Mass MoCA bluegrass and folk festival in North Adams. It’s always a great time and my parents are coming so it’s going to be a great weekend.
2. My approaching birthday! It’s going to be much more low key than last year (LINK), but we do have a couple things planned and I’m looking forward to celebrating.